Some rather obvious musings from yesterday’s beat down:
1) We’re deep at running back: Eddie Lacy, T.J. Yeldon, Jalston Fowler and Dee Hart. The interesting this is that all four seem to have different styles. Lacy is a hammer with a nifty spin move. Fowler is a high-powered bowling ball. Hart reminds me a bit of Sherman Williams, though I’m not sure if I’m totally sold on that comparison. And Yeldon reminds me of Darren McFadden.
2) Lacy definitely didn’t look to be at 100%. The staff had to be pleased at how the game turned out and how Yeldon performed so as to somewhat limit Lacy’s work. On the other hand, turning the ball over as he did at the end of the first half will definitely have an effect on his playing time.
3) AJ McCarron, to me, had a mixed night. Two touchdown passes, 199 yards passing and no turnovers were a big deal. But he also seemed a bit uncomfortable in the pocked and at times appeared to be throwing off of his back foot. His 11 for 21 night throwing the ball (52.4%) was well off his completion mark of a year ago, though you could base that in part on several throw aways.
4) Michigan seemed to game plan away from getting Denard Robinson broke up. That was a smart plan because he nearly traveled home in pieces anyway.
5) Speaking of Robinson, he earned a bit of my respect last night. It was obvious early on that it wasn’t Michigan’s night, but Robinson hung in there and finished the game, despite being banged up enough to ask out.
6) As we discussed before the game, the long passing plays by Michigan weren’t a surprise. And, yes, expect more of that this year.
7) Doug Nussmeier’s debut with the Tide was obviously a success. For most of the game, you couldn’t tell the difference between he and Jim McElwain. That’s good and bad. We still need to get better at keeping offensive momentum when we have a lead.
8) Kudos to Cade Foster on his 51-yard field goal. That has to breed a lot of confidence for him.
9) Michigan’s left offensive tackle, #77, had a long night. A couple of false starts, a holding penalty, an injury and facing Adrian Hubbard made for a long night for him.
More to follow…
Have a nice Sunday,