14. Kentucky – Think Bobby Petrino will have the Hilltoppers jacked for the opener against an SEC team? This has ugly written all over it for UK.
13. Auburn – How much does Washington State improve in Mike Leach’s second year? The Cougars shouldn’t be very good, but can the Tigers be functional enough in game one under Gus Malzahn to win?
12. Vanderbilt – The most pivotal game of week one in the SEC. A bowl game could be on the line for the Dores in this one.
11. Arkansas – Bret Bielema has talked all summer. He’ll probably keep talking until after his SEC opener.
10. Tennessee – The Vols tune up for Petrino’s Hilltoppers by taking on Austin Peay.
9. Missouri – The Tigers could reel off five wins before facing Georgia and could be this year’s version of Mississippi State.
8. Mississippi State – Speaking of which, the Bullies have an interesting opener against No. 13-ranked Oklahoma State in Houston. Dan Mullen’s team will find out real quick how good they are this year.
7. Ole Miss – Hugh Freeze, year two, yada, yada, yada. To build on last year’s success, the Black Bears need to start with a win over Vandy.
6. Florida – The Gators kick off a fairly tough schedule with an easy tilt against Toledo.
5. Texas A&M – Will he or won’t he? I’m guessing he will and the Aggies will crush Rice in the opener.
4. LSU – An interesting match-up week one versus TCU. The Tigers have better players, but the Frogs probably have better coaches. Xs and Os over Jimmies and Joes? We’ll see.
3. South Carolina – Horrors! Will anybody from North Carolina be able to block Jadeveon Clowney???? Probably not enough to upset the Gamecocks.
2. Georgia – In my opinion, the top match-up in college football for week one: Georgia vs. Clemson. The Dawgs can lose this one and still be in the hunt for a natty.
1. Alabama – The opener against Virginia Tech looked a lot better when it was inked. The Hokies are dropping like flies and the line is approaching 20. Can Frank Beamer cook something up for the Tide? I guess we’ll see about that, too.