Starting off 12-1 is a good way to kick off the season…
Ole Miss 39, Vanderbilt 35 [Prediction: Ole Miss 28 Vanderbilt 24]
- Pre-game: “There’s not much separating these two teams and tonight’s season opener should be a close game.”
- Post-game: Going to Nashville and pulling out a win was a great way for the Black Bears to start the season. Franklin’s Dores are already in a hole.
Florida 24, Toledo 6 [Prediction: Florida 38 Toledo 10]
- Pre-game: “Gator fans are looking for signs of life in their offense. The Rockets should help them feel a tad better.”
- Post-game: Yawn.
Western Kentucky 35, Kentucky 26 [Prediction: Kentucky 22 Western Kentucky 21]
- Pre-game: “It’s entirely possible for Mark Stoops to lose his opener to Bobby Petrino’s Hilltoppers. It’ll be close, but they won’t.”
- Post-game: My lone loser of the week. I should have gone with my gut and picked the Hilltoppers.
Missouri 58, Murray State 14 [Prediction: Missouri 34 Murray State 14]
- Pre-game: “Nothing says college football is back like Missou vs. Murray State.”
- Post-game: Yawn, part two.
Arkansas 34, UL-Lafayette 14 [Prediction: Arkansas 28 UL-Lafayette 14]
- Pre-game: “Last year a small-time Louisiana school put a beatin’ on the Hogs. This year, the Ragin’ Cajuns won’t be so lucky as the Hogs win in Bret Bielema’s debut.”
- Post-game: After last year, I’m sure Hog fans are happy with any sort of win.
Tennessee 45, Austin Peay 0 [Prediction: Tennessee 45 Austin Peay 10]
- Pre-game: “Can Butch Jones lead the Vols out of the desert? Who knows, but this easy win over the Governors sure doesn’t hurt.”
- Post-game: A shut out is a great way for the Jones era to start in Knoxville.
Auburn 31, Washington State 24 [Prediction: Auburn 24 Washington State 23]
- Pre-game: “The Gus Malzahn era starts with a win, albeit a close one, over Mike Leach’s Coogs.”
- Post-game: The Coogs basically gave this one away.
South Carolina 27, North Carolina 10 [Prediction: South Carolina 31 North Carolina 17]
- Pre-game: “Jadeveon Clowney will actually get blocked a couple of times, but it won’t help as the Tar Heels fall to the Gamecocks.”
- Post-game: The Heels gave Clowney and the Gamecocks all they wanted.
Oklahoma State 21, Mississippi State 3 [Prediction: Oklahoma State 31 Mississippi State 30]
- Pre-game: “There will be lots of offense in this SEC-Big 12 match-up in Houston, but the Dogs fall a little short.”
- Post-game: Three points against a Big 12 defense? Makes you wonder how bad things could get in Starkville this year.
LSU 37, TCU 27 [Prediction: LSU 35 TCU 17]
- Pre-game: “The Tigers usually play well in big season openers. The Horned Frogs ain’t exactly, big time, but Les Miles and the gang still roll.”
- Post-game: I good win for LSU, though time will tell how good the Frogs actually are.
Alabama 35, Virginia Tech 10 [Prediction: Alabama 30 Virginia Tech 17]
- Pre-game: “A garbage score or two by Tech makes this game look closer than it actually is.”
- Post-game: I’ll take it.
Texas A&M 52, Rice 31 [Prediction: Texas A&M 56 Rice 24]
- Pre-game: “Are you kidding me? Johnny Football plays and plays well as the Aggies stomp the Owls.”
- Post-game: Johnny Manziel only played one half and that’s about all I could stomach.
Clemson 38, Georgia 34 [Prediction: Clemson 35 Georgia 34]
- Pre-game: “This is clearly the game of the week in college football. The edge in this one goes to the Tigers playing at home.”
- Post-game: The Fightin’ Dabos were ready and the hole in Aaron Murray’s resume is still there.