Fall camp is just over a week old and it’s time for the first major scrimmage. Alabama has a few questions that need answers and scrimmaging is always a good way to start gathering those answers. Here’s what I’ll be interested to see from the scrimmage…
1) Quarterback – Duh. The most glamorous position on the field will have the most attention. It’s likely we won’t see the full picture statistically, and we won’t know all of the match-ups Blake Sims and Jacob Coker face, but after the scrimmage, we should begin to get a sense of how this race is stacking up.
2) Left tackle, right guard – Arie Kouandjio, Ryan Kelley and Austin Shepherd, from left to right, appear to have locked up their spots along the offensive line. Cam Robinson and Alphonse Taylor look to nail down the other two. The scrimmage should give us some feedback on how these two are progressing.
3) Inside linebacker – Trey DePriest is banged up and the other three players in the two-deep here don’t have a lot of experience. We’ll be looking to see solid play from Reggie Ragland, Reuben Foster and true freshman Shaun Dion Hamilton. Oh yeah, and we don’t want anymore injuries here.
4) Nose tackle – There’s a lot of jockeying along the defensive line with an injury to A’Shawn Robinson and players coming back from suspensions. Though Robinson likely won’t play full-time at nose, I think he’ll be a handful there. In his absence, we’ll be looking to see who steps up.
5) Defensive backfield – There are quite a few moving pieces in the defensive backfield. First, we’ll be looking to see some solid play from the corners and then we’ll be looking to see how the nickel and dime packages shake out.